Saturday, October 15, 2005

Sauna Day...

Today started with my first on-ice practice with the team. Still getting used to getting instructions translated, but they responded very well. Did some power skating and passing drills to see the range of abilities. There is a big gap between the top and bottom players skill-wise so it will be a challenge to make them all better.

But the big cultural experience today was the Sauna and massage. They asked me if I wanted to go with the team as the girls went for a Sauna. “When in Rome” so I went, I figured the staff would just go out for a beer or something while the girls were there. We arrived at the first place and apparently they were busy or did not have what we wanted? So, we got back on the team bus and drove to another place. The driving around Harbin, in a bus in traffic, will be the subject of a future post as it deserves some full consideration (Woh!). I was told later by my de-facto host for the day, the team doctor, that there are many in Harbin. The doctor speaks about 20-30 English words, so it was an adventure. When we arrived at the next place, we were good to go and the girls headed upstairs. Then, I was guided by the doctor with the rest of the staff to the “Men’s VIP Area” (the first English sign I had seen in a while). I was given a locker key to store my clothes in and we headed into the men’s sauna. This began with the typical hot rocks steam room, while alternatively jumping into the ice cold water. We did this a few times, and then into the hot tub style jet beds. After that, I was taken to a “sandpaper rub down.” I am not sure of the official name but that is what it felt like. My entire body was scrubbed down and stretched out with a sandpaper style cloth. Time for a shower next before the massage. The doctor then told me to put on the standard sauna pyjamas. After getting dressed in those, the he showed me around the rest of the place a little, we saw a room where the players were relaxing and watching TV and stretching, then to the sleep/massage room. I got on a soft bed, which was surprising based on the extreme firmness of my own bed in the training center (Soft cement describes it best). I was then given an excellent 30 minute foot/calf massage. Finally, I was told it was time to sleep by the doctor, so who I am to turn down an hour long nap? Anyway, we changed back into our street clothes after that and left. Quite an experience.

The final practice of the day was understandably a little sluggish. I will have to adjust the practice schedule on the next sauna day. We had a staff meeting and set the schedule for next week as we prepare for the tournament in Harbin against Japan, Germany and Russia. Tomorrow is a day off for the players to go home and visit family. A chance for me to regroup and get ready for next week. Thanks for all the great comments on past posts, greetings to you all from Harbin!

5 Comments:

At 11:06 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Geez, the life of an international hockey coach. How demanding and difficult! I might have to suggest to Steve that instead of giving us iPods or weeks off that maybe he should just bring the entire company to the spa. Or maybe have one installed in our office.... ;-)

 
At 10:34 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

What, no happy ending?

 
At 5:47 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Could't quite figure out the Chinese characters to the right of what you mentioned as a "NY islanders sign", but the big red characters to its left, instead of claiming they have a office, says: STRIVE TO CLIMB TO THE PEAK OF THE WORLD'S ICE AND SNOW SPORT. Typical Chinese motto.

 
At 4:52 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

Being a head coach is a difficult job, especially when you have a jam-packed schedule like this. And the sauna is just the right therapy for all of you to release the stress and exhaustion from the practice. It also relaxes your muscles and mind which is good for your next practice game. Anyway, good to know you all enjoyed the experience, and wish you luck in your coaching journey.

Neil Dalby

 
At 7:19 PM, Anonymous Briella Allen said...

This is one of the articles where I get to know new stuff!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home