Sunday, October 16, 2005

Photos from a Day Off...

With the day off, I thought I would take some time to take some pictures of where I am so that you all have a better idea of where I live and work. I also got adventurous and took a walk a couple blocks outside of the Athletic Complex. It was a windy, crisp day, similar to fall in New England, but not too cold. I had not taken a whole lot of pictures so far, not wanting to be the "dorky American with the camera." But, with everyone gone, I got over that today and the irony of an American walking around in China with a camera (given the stereotype in our country) was not lost me. So fewer words and more pictures today.

This is the lobby/foyer of our floor in the dormitory


Last night before the players left, they did their laundry and left it in the hallway to dry. We have two hallways this size.

Here is the team meeting/video classroom. There are a few latops with internet access in here for the players as well.

Not sure what this is but made for a cool picture it is the first thing you see on the right when you exit the dormitory. I am looking forward to comments on what you think it is?

The next thing you go past on the left on the way to the rink is the huge speed skating dome.

Another view of the rink, with some buildings in the background that are outside the sports complex.

For those who do not believe that the NY Islanders have an office in Harbin, here is the sign! The translation I believe says "Yes, the Islanders haved an office in Harbin."

As I ventured out of the complex, I reached a main street. You can see the bikes and cars sharing the street. Many times, like this, the bikes are being "walked" and not ridden.

I decided to go left out of the complex and head southwest and found another thing you won't see in the U.S., the bike style "pickup truck" over loaded with supplies. Yesterday, I saw a man pushing one of these through a major traffic circle, completely crossing fast moving traffic.

Just so you know I am not that far from home, YES, that is a McDonalds. It is about a two block walk from the entrance to the Winter Sports Complex. I decided this was far enough to walk today.

On my way home, a couple of kids riding together on one bike said "Hello" to me in English! They let me take their picture and followed me back to the entrance to the complex and said "goodbye" also in English. They were very funny.

Back through the entrance the same NY Islanders sign is on your left with the Ferris Wheel behind it. This picture is looking northeast from just inside the complex gate.

I return to my room and YES, the roller coaster is running today, it comes by every 5 or 10 minutes, but it is not too loud.


So it is time to work on the plans for next week... signing off on a Sunday afternoon in Harbin, China that is!

4 Comments:

At 12:13 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

A nuclear weapons silo disguised as a pointy phallic symbol resembling a Disney World tower.

 
At 10:27 AM, Blogger k2 said...

Hey! Anonymous took my answer! :(

 
At 11:26 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

it's obviously a castle that's been retro-fitted to function as a rocket ship. it's part of China's plans to colonize Mars.

 
At 8:23 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Ryan,
If you dig deep into the mists of time, you might remember me from when you grew up in York Village at the University of Maine. I was one of the guys who lived upstairs from you and your folks.
It sounds like you're on a grand adventure. You've come a long way from that group of eight year olds that used to chase the puck around Alfond arena! Very cool. Have a great time. --John Meader

P.S. Be wary of that disney-missle thing, have they mentioned any really long road trips?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home