Tuesday, October 25, 2005

"Language Lessons"

So one of my favorite movies is "Better Off Dead" with John Cusack. In the movie there are two oriental brothers, one who speaks no english and one who learned how to speak english from watching the wide world of sports and as such speaks only "Howard Cosell". Those of you who have seen the movie will understand where I am coming from. If you have not seen it, it is an older movie, a great rental that I would highly reccomend! This is relevant to me now as many people have asked me how I am getting along with the language here in China.

I have an interpreter, Peter, who understands me pretty well and can translate my English into Chinese for the players and staff to understand. However, he has a much more difficult time translating the Chinese back into English for me. So when I have questions about things, need things or they have questions for me, it takes much longer to come to an understanding. This seems to be because there are so many different English words and expressions that mean the same thing. Also, in translating languages, the subject or topic is very important. Peter, is translating the Chinese words to me literally, and not topically as he has experience with neither the Chinese nor English idiomatic speech as it relates to hockey terminology. For example, the other day he said this phrase to me: "when we lose a goal." I was very confused for a while as to what that meant. He was referring of course to: "when we get scored on." Another example is that the Chinese word for Defenseman (Ho way) literally means "backwards" as they are the players who skate backwards. Thus, Peter and I are having an adjustment period, so that we understand each other's English. He is with me most of the time, for meetings (with players and with staff) during the day, and on the bench at games.

I am also, with his, the player's and staff members' help, trying to learn important Chinese words, both for hockey and getting around. In the long run, the more I can say in Chinese, the better I will be understood. Here is a list of words and phrases that I know so far and can use and pronounce fairly well: hello, good morning, good night, thank you, you're welcome, yes, no, good, very good, Forward, Center, Defenseman, Goalie, faster, shoot, rebound, exactly, Are you ready?, flexible, water, I understand, very good friend, black line, red line, blue line, green line, white line, and change. I am also starting to recognize some words in Chinese as people are speaking to each other.

Interestingly, numerals (for monetary amounts, time of day etc.) are all expressed here in China as "normal" Roman numerals (1,2,3...etc.) even though there are Chinese characters for each. So, the players all understand me when I use them. The 1-2-2 forecheck, or 5-3 powerplay is understood almost immediately by the players. The older players have also had a North American coach before and can understand me before my words are translated into Chinese. The use of the hockey white board is pretty universal too. Even the Chinese assistant coach uses "D" for defense and "F" forward in his diagrams.

The team captain also speaks English very well and she translates some of the hockey terms and phrases when Peter does not understand the hockey specific language. She is very helpful. There are also some other players who are trying to learn a little english.

The team has an amazing memory too. Before each practice, we have a team meeting to go over the drills for that practice. They each have a notebook in which they write down all of the drills and team systems. They also have a stamp, which is a diagram of a rink. They stamp it into their book whenever they need a rink on which to draw a drill or system. It is a great innovation that substitutes well for buying a hockey specific notebook. So, even with my many new drills, they remember almost every drill exactly when we get out on the ice, without me having to re-explain them. At most, I usually have to stop the drill to demonstrate some technique or body position for doing the drill properly.

So, all in all, I am getting along fine. There are times when it is frustrating not to be able to have a quick one-on-one conversation with a player who is obviously having a bad day and needs cheering up, or a player who needs just a slight adjustment to their play on the ice. But I am learning to communicate with gestures and facial expressions along with how to best use my translator. It is quite a challenge and experience, and has made me further understand the importance of communication.

The players are an amazingly hard working group. I look forward to getting to know them better as I learn to communicate more clearly with them. They are very open to new things and doing what it takes to get better as players and as a team.

As for today, we concluded the tournament with a 3-4 loss to Russia. We played very well in the face of two key injuries to players on both the first and second lines. It was a great game with scoring going back and forth and we had many chances to win. Tomorrow we will rest a little. With days off, We have a only 4 days left of practice here before leaving for Finland.

So the experience continues from Harbin....

3 Comments:

At 8:41 AM, Blogger k2 said...

I'm not very good with laguages, but those words you mentioned look like english words to me!

 
At 1:37 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You might want to learn the word for snow since the weather says that you might get some Friday. =)

Do you get snow days since you live across from the rink?

 
At 7:29 AM, Blogger k2 said...

Check this out! I have proof that Ryan may not be in China! ;
k21975.blogspot.com

 

Post a Comment

<< Home